Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Vannes-tastic! Ok, so now I'm really trying to get more creative...

Dear Family,

My first week here in Vannes and I am loving it! We're way up the port inland in Vannes and its soooo different compared to Paris. It's absolutely gorgeous and it is definately more of a touristy area. And with summer coming on soon, there will be more and more people. We do have a car but we share it and the miles between us and the elders-- so we definately still do a lot of walking. Mais, ça va. I'm so happy to be here with my companion, Soeur Mckenna Rasband. She's from American Fork, Utah and is going into her 8th transfer. Her and I were both at BYU for 2 years before leaving for the mission. Funny how you never seem to cross paths with people until coming all the way to a foreign country? Go figures. But she took a lot of french growing up, was trained by a francophone and trained a francophone. So as you might imagine, she speaks absolutely gorgeous french and is so fun and spunky.
The week before the ended of the transfer, Soeur Tippett and her were able to see one of their amis, Julie, be baptized. And so it is just wonderful coming in at this time and being all excited for her and helping her get adjusted to being a member of the branch. She is one stellar 20 year-old french girl! She sought out the missionaries after seeing an article online about David Archuletta (You never know how much good you do, David...) We're putting on an activity for the branch this week about the Plan of Salvation and it will be a bit of a role play as we tour around the church from room to room. And so we "got our craft on" a little and are working on decorations. Sometimes missionaries end up having mini callings in the activities department, but they are sooo much FUN!
It was hard leaving Paris and the ward there with all the people I have come to love so much, but I am so happy to be here. These people are a little bit more a challenge to get through to, but it is absolutely so fulfilling to be able to watch their hearts open up to our message. I have felt the spirit so strongly as we've talked to some of the most unlikely people we've crossed paths with. We were teaching an ami this week with a member and during the lesson, the member wanted to share a scripture from the bible. So I opened my bible and asked her where. She told me the book. I was already there. I asked her what chapter. I was already there. I asked her what verses. I was already there. And it goes to show that members, when taking part in sharing the joyful message of the gospel, can be JUST as inspired as the full-time missionaries. 

I love you all and wish you the best of weeks!

Sincerely,
Soeur Bronte Hopkseeeens



















Last evening in Evry at the Bishop's home with his portugeuse mother, mother-in-law and friend. (We had the fhe lesson translated into portugeuse haha.) They are so wonderful and I couldn't have imagined a better way to end my last day in Paris. Off to Vannes!
Me and my new companion, Soeur Rasband, at the port!



















With car in background. Yes, that one's ours!!!!

I'm still having a hard time getting over this whole water thing..



















It's very classy here and we often end up porting huge mansion or beach front home with door bells like this that you have to pull. Ok, so it was a lot of fun!

We're working on this activity for church that involved painting and creating our own little universe. We hung it under our table to dry

























And this is a statue in front of the Hotel de Ville (city hall)

























Lots of love,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment